Plan ahead to make Moving Day simple.
Moving into a new home is definitely hard work but it doesn’t have to be stressful too. Take the stress out of Move-in Day by planning ahead. This timeline will help you take care of everything before the big day comes!
One Month Prior
- Create an inventory of everything you plan to move.
- Eliminate everything you don't want to move.
- Notify the post office of your move and complete a change of address form.
- Notify your credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, etc. of your change of address.
- Select and finalize dates and costs with your moving company.
- Obtain family medical and dental records if you are moving out of the area.
- Notify your children's schools of the move.
- Contact your utilities. Schedule a disconnection of services for the day after you move. Schedule the connection of services at your new home to begin the day before you move.
- Make your travel arrangements if necessary (airlines, hotels, etc.).
- Obtain medical records of your pets and schedule transportation for them if necessary.
- Decide the furniture layout of your new home to save you time on moving day.
Two Weeks Prior
- Begin serious packing, beginning with those things rarely used.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance company to verify coverage.
- Transfer prescriptions to a pharmacy in your new area.
- Contact your bank to change your address.
One Week Prior
- Pack a bag with items you DO NOT want to place in the moving van (i.e. jewelry, valuables, and important papers).
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator if needed.
- Dispose of all toxic or flammable items before moving items such as lawn mowers.
ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME!